August 5, 2022
SEIU Free College Benefit Program Update
The following is an update from SEIU Member Benefits on the SEIU Free College Benefit Program:
As you may already be aware, on July 18, SEIU Member Benefits and other union organizations around the country paused the Free College Benefit Program due to some unexpected rule changes from the Department of Education (DOE). This pause resulted in many questions – especially from those of you who were already enrolled in classes or planning to enroll for the coming Fall semester. We were surprised by the changes and disappointed by the timing which comes so close to the window in which many members will be enrolling for Fall classes.
Since the announcement, we have been working with our partners at the Student Resource Center (SRC) and Eastern Gateway Community College (EGCC) to understand the details of the DOE’s decision and how it will impact both active and prospective students.
Here is our current status as of August 3, 2022:
- Returning Students are eligible for enrollment for the Fall 2022 term and should contact their schools directly to complete the enrollment process in time to begin Fall classes. Returning students who did not take classes in the Spring are also eligible to enroll in Fall classes.
- Students who were accepted for enrollment on or before July 18th are eligible for enrollment for the Fall 2022 term under the Free College Benefit and should contact their schools directly to complete the enrollment process in time to begin Fall classes.
- Students who were admitted for enrollment on or after July 19th are NOT eligible for enrollment for the Fall 2022 term under the Free College Benefit.
- Applicants who have not been admitted as of July 19th are NOT eligible for enrollment for the Fall 2022 term under the Free College Benefit.
If you have questions about the program, you can reach out to the SEIU Member Benefits Member Advocacy Center at 844-836-7348. If SEIU Member Benefits can’t help, we will funnel the question to the right contact at our partner organizations. If you would like to speak directly with one of our partners, they can be reached at the following phone numbers:
- Student Resource Center (Best for prospective students or those in the enrollment process) 855-469-SEIU (7348)
- Eastern Gateway Community College 888-590-9009 or email Online@egccfreecollege.org
- Central State University 877-301-3772 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for new students and email@example.com for returning students.
- SEIU Member Benefits Member Advocacy Center 844-836-7348
We will continue to provide updates as they become available via email and on our website: www.seiumb.com/freecollege and hope to have additional news soon regarding your options for securing either an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree through programs offered by SEIU Member Benefits and our partners.
The SEIU Member Benefits Team