State of Ohio – Union Chapter News
● Emergency Pay Class Action Grievance. SEIU District 1199 has filed a class action grievance for every member citing Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) language Article 35, Emergencies. We believe that the current state of emergency declared by Governor DeWine falls well within the intent of this language and that all members who work during this declared emergency are entitled to the $8 per hour stipend referenced in the CBA. Send a message to Ohio Governor Mike DeWine and ask him to honor the contract and grant the emergency pay that was mutually agreed upon. We will keep you updated as the grievance moves through the process.
● Honoring Ohio Adult Parole Authority and Department of Youth Services Members. In the month of May, our nation observes Peace Officers Memorial Day, a day when we remember those who have lost their lives or become disabled in the line of duty. We want to take this time to honor the law enforcement professionals who are members of the Union. They face hazardous and dangerous conditions. From our leadership team to the members of our Union, we honor and thank them for their service.
● Educational Development Fund Update. Last July 1st, the Educational Development Fund for members of SEIU District 1199 renewed with an additional balance of $750,000 available for reimbursement. As of May 9th, 21% of the budget, which totals $165,073.58, remains available for reimbursement. This fund was negotiated as a part of the contract and allows reimbursement for approved training and educational expenses. In 2018, members negotiated a substantial increase in funding for the Educational Development Fund as a part of the current contract due to the fact that in previous years the fund had been depleted far in advance of the July 1st renewal.
● Open Enrollment for Benefits. For the plan year beginning on July 1, 2020, open enrollment will run from May 18, 2020 to May 29, 2020. Open enrollment is the time that members can enroll or make changes to their medical, dental, vision, and supplemental life insurance. Please look for all notices from the State of Ohio regarding open enrollment and virtual open enrollment fairs. This is very important as it is the only time that you will be able to change your coverage(s) without special circumstances.
● State Member Receives Payment Owed After Filing Grievance. In violation of the Union contract, a member with the State of Ohio was not paid for attending an Industrial Commission hearing. After working with the Union and filing a grievance, the employer offered to settle the grievance by offering compensatory time.
● Four ODRC Members Granted Overtime Opportunities. A group of members with the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction were skipped over for overtime opportunities. They worked together to file a grievance, as this was a violation of the Union contract. Through this process, the employer agreed to give them each overtime work within the following 45 days.
SEIU District 1199 Member Benefits
Membership with SEIU District 1199 includes membership with three member benefit programs. Those programs include Union Plus, SEIU Member Benefits, and the SEIU District 1199 WV/KY/OH membership card. Members and eligible family members can now take classes with Eastern Gateway Community College at no-cost online. In 2019, Union Plus announced a new program with Central State University in Dayton, Ohio.
Member Resource Center – State of Ohio Chapter
The Member Resource Center has provided assistance to a substantial number of members with the State of Ohio. Members have stood with their co-workers to win grievances, which relate to workplace health and safety, protection of the public, and fundamental fairness, among other issues. Representatives with the Member Resource Center are standing by to assist members. “Your Member Resource Center Has Your Back!”