State of Ohio – Union Chapter News
● New State Contract Books. The State contracts have arrived and the Administrative Organizers are working to get them to your delegates, agencies, and institutions. Last fall, State of Ohio members united to negotiate and ratify a strong state contract, which granted annual wage increases of 2.75% (2018), 2.75% (2019), and 3.00% (2020). The contract also increased tuition reimbursement by $200,000, protected health insurance costs, boosted the equipment allowance for Adult Parole Authority members, and gave 22 hours of compensatory time as a bonus for full time members. New contract books have been ordered and will be available soon.
● Adult Parole Authority Lobby Day. In April, members with the Adult Parole Authority held a lobby day at the Ohio Statehouse. Parole officers met with many members of the Ohio House and Ohio Senate to discuss legislative priorities and the importance of their work to public safety and Ohio’s communities.
● Educational Development Fund. In addition to funds still available at this time, on July 1st, the Educational Development Fund will renew with an additional balance of $750,000 available for reimbursement. This fund is negotiated as a part of the contract and allows reimbursement for approved training and educational expenses.
● Congratulations to Member Ron Arnett. Mr. Arnett, an RN and member leader, was named the employee of the year at the Dayton Correctional Institution in May 2019.
● State Nurses Receive Substantial Overtime Settlement. Two nurses, who are members with the State of Ohio, recently received significant settlements after overtime was improperly denied. The members stood together and contacted the Member Resource Center. Through the arbitration process, the members showed that this loss of overtime hours denied due process. A settlement was reached, which had a combined value of over $45,000.
● Significant Arbitration Victory on Administrative Leave. The State of Ohio has often utilized an unfair practice that denied workers on administrative leave supplemental pay. In a recent arbitration decision regarding members of SEIU District 1199, an arbitrator ruled that the State of Ohio is no longer permitted to continue the practice of deducting pay supplements from paychecks when state bargaining unit members are out on administrative leave.
● State Member Challenges Written Reprimand. A member at the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction recently received a written reprimand, which they considered unjust. The member filed a grievance and the state agreed to remove the discipline after a shortened period.
● Member Receives Significant Settlement. A state member was terminated after over a decade with the state. The member contacted the Member Resource Center to file a grievance. As an outcome of the grievance, the member was allowed to resign in lieu of the termination and the member also received a settlement of $11,500.
● Department of Youth Services Member Receives Reimbursement. A state member with the Ohio Department of Youth Services made an emergency purchase for the direct benefit of a youth on parole but was not reimbursed promptly. After filing a grievance, the member was reimbursed with interest.
Member Resource Center Update
The Member Resource Center has assisted with a substantial number of grievances for State of Ohio Members. Members have stood with their co-workers to win grievances, which relate to workplace health and safety, protection of the public, and fundamental fairness, among other issues.
As a snapshot, in May 2019, the Member Resource Center assisted with filing 55 grievances on behalf of State of Ohio Members alone. The Member Resource Center standing by to assist members Monday through Friday. “Your Member Resource Center Has Your Back!”
SEIU District 1199 Scholarship Program
Members of SEIU District 1199 and their immediate family members can now apply for the scholarship program. Eligible members must be in good standing and have been a member for at least two years. The scholarship program is open to applications for those who have been accepted or are currently enrolled in an accredited two or four year educational institution or technical school and a degree, post bachelor’s degree or certification program. The deadline for scholarship applications is September 1, 2019. Eighteen $1,000 scholarships are available for members who reside in Ohio.
SEIU District 1199 Union Member Benefits
Membership with SEIU District 1199 includes membership with three member benefit programs. Those programs include Union Plus, SEIU Member Benefits, and the SEIU District 1199 WV/KY/OH Membership Card.
SEIU Member Benefits has also partnered with Eastern Gateway Community College, which is in the University of Ohio System, to offer a free college benefit.