● Cabell Huntington Hospital Member Challenges Suspension. A technical worker with Cabell Huntington Hospital in Huntington, West Virginia, received a 5-day suspension after following guidelines. Some members must update their credentials, which must be available on a credentialing website by a deadline prior to expiration. Due to a delay in processing, the renewal was not immediately displayed, though updated prior to the deadline. The member worked with the Union and an arbitrator reduced the 5-day suspension to a single day.
● Standing Together Amid the COVID19 Pandemic. Members with SEIU District 1199 have been standing with their co-workers as Union members in the pandemic. Together, members across many chapters have successfully negotiated hazard pay and other agreements to help combat COVID19.
● RN Member at Northeast Ohio Hospital Negotiates Settlement. A member with Mercy Regional Medical Center was terminated in August 2020. The member filed a grievance and was able to negotiate a payout of accrued leave time, which totaled $3,627. Without a Union, a worker can be dismissed for any reason. However, as an outcome of the grievance, the termination was also amended to reflect a resignation.
● Certus Healthcare Members Stand United. Members with Certus Healthcare in Cleveland held a visibility action to raise awareness and pay tribute to Union brothers and sisters working on the frontlines as well as nursing home residents who have lost their lives or been diagnosed with COVID19. The event garnered local news coverage and members were able to share their experiences with the public.
● Member With ResCare Successfully Appeals Discipline. A dedicated member had worked with ResCare for 32 years. The member had no prior record of discipline and was issued a final warning for small infractions. The member filed a grievance and though the employer was not willing to remove the discipline, it was reduced to a 1st written warning in a settlement.
● Ohio Nursing Home Member Receives Settlement After Grievance. A member with a nursing home in Ohio had been terminated and filed a grievance. The member had already found another job but in a successful outcome, the member received a monetary payment and the termination was amended to reflect a resignation.
Member Resource Center Update
The Member Resource Center provides assistance each day to a substantial number of members across West Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky. Whether you need a copy of your contract, assistance contacting Union staff, or advice on how to file a grievance, representatives with the Member Resource Center are standing by to assist members each Monday through Friday. “Your Member Resource Center Has Your Back!”
SEIU District 1199 Member Benefits
Membership with SEIU District 1199 includes membership with three member benefit programs. Those programs include Union Plus, SEIU Member Benefits, and the SEIU District 1199 WV/KY/OH membership card. Members and eligible family members can now take classes with Eastern Gateway Community College at no-cost online. In 2019, Union Plus announced a new program with Central State University in Dayton. If you are not a member, you can sign a membership card online.