Member News and Grievance Victories
● Member With ResCare in Lake County Granted Missing Pay. A member who worked for ResCare in Lake County took clients on outings. ResCare increased the pay for this work but the member was unaware of the change and did not receive proper payment. After working with the Union, the member was issued the pay that was owed.
● Northeast Ohio Hospital Member Issued Settlement. A hospital member was terminated and believed that the circumstances around the dismissal were unjust. The member and Union maintained that the termination was for improper reasons, including due to ethnicity. While employment without a Union is “at-will,” with a Union contract and through the grievance process, the member accepted a $10,000 settlement.
● Seniority for West Virginia Hospital Member Recognized After Grievance. A member with Weirton Medical Center in West Virginia, had worked for the hospital for 11 years and later returned to full-time employment there in 2019 after working elsewhere for several years. The member did not receive some benefits that were commensurate with their seniority. Working with co-workers and the Union, the member filed a grievance. As an outcome of the grievance, the member will receive PTO time at a higher rate dating back to the date the grievance was filed and will receive a higher pension match.
● ResCare Member in West Virginia Reinstated. A member with ResCare was terminated due to an unsubstantiated accusation. Through the grievance process the member was able to challenge the termination. As a result, the member was reinstated after the grievance proceeded to arbitration and it was found that the contract and due process were violated.
● Hospital Member in Youngstown Area Issued Pay After Contract Violation. A technical worker at a hospital in Ohio was sent home regularly due to low census at the start of the COVID19 pandemic. The member was singled out for being sent home due to low census and also hours in violation of the contract. The member worked with her delegate and co-worker and the hospital agreed to an $840 settlement.
SEIU District 1199 Member Benefits
Membership with SEIU District 1199 includes membership with three member benefit programs. Those programs include Union Plus, SEIU Member Benefits, and the SEIU District 1199 WV/KY/OH membership card. Members and eligible family members can now take classes with Eastern Gateway Community College at no-cost online. In 2019, Union Plus announced a new program with Central State University in Dayton. If you are not a member, you can sign a membership card online.
Member Resource Center Update
The Member Resource Center provides assistance each day to a substantial number of members across West Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky. Whether you need a copy of your contract, assistance contacting Union staff, or advice on how to file a grievance, representatives with the Member Resource Center are standing by to assist members each Monday through Friday. “Your Member Resource Center Has Your Back!”