● Cleveland Community School District Member Wins Grievance Over Work Distribution. A member with the CMSD was having difficulty at work with the way assignments were being distributed in regards to heavy shipments of frozen food items. She worked with the Union to file a grievance. As a result of the grievance, the school district agreed to follow up with the area supervisor and affected employees to make sure that work was distributed equally.
● Dedicated Member With ResCare in West Virginia Returns to Work. A member in Kanawha County who works for ResCare (“BrightSpring”) believed he had been improperly terminated and worked with the Union to file a grievance. Through this process, the member was awarded his job back. He received 5 weeks of back pay and restoration of PTO time and seniority.
● Job Dismissal Overturned After Grievance. A highly dedicated member had worked for a hospital in Southern Ohio for nearly 20 years. The member was dismissed from their position due to a claim of absenteeism and tardiness. Through the grievance process, the member showed that the absences were due to circumstances that fit within an exception in the attendance policy.
● Member With St. Vincent Charity Medical Center Receives Settlement. A member with St. Vincent Charity Medical Center in Cleveland was dismissed. While Ohio is generally an “at-will” employment state, the Union contract meant that the employer had to show “just cause.” Though the Union was prepared to take the case to mediation, the employer proposed a $3,000 settlement, which was mutually agreeable to both parties.
● Mercy Regional Medical Center Member Awarded Full-Time Position. A member with MRMC in Lorain, Ohio, had been working full-time hours as a PRN for three years with no benefits or offer for a full-time position. The member worked with the Union to file a grievance and was quickly hired into a full-time position in a favorable outcome.
SEIU District 1199 Member Benefits
Membership with SEIU District 1199 includes membership with three member benefit programs. Those programs include Union Plus, SEIU Member Benefits, and the SEIU District 1199 WV/KY/OH Membership Card. Last month, Union Plus announced a new college program with Central State University in Dayton, Ohio, which is a benefit available for members and eligible family members. For details visit: seiu1199.org/mrc/your-benefits-as-a-member
Member Resource Center Update
The Member Resource Center provides assistance each day to a substantial number of members across West Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky. Whether you need a copy of your contract, assistance contacting Union staff, or advice on how to file a grievance, representatives with the Member Resource Center are standing by to assist members each Monday through Friday. “Your Member Resource Center Has Your Back!”