Member News and Grievance Victories
● Technical and Professional Workers at Cabell Huntington Hospital Overwhelmingly Approve New Contract Agreement. After negotiating for nearly a year, members with Cabell Huntington Hospital voted to approve a new contract agreement with hospital executives. In addition to improvements in wages and benefits, the agreement will help ensure quality care and workforce retention.
● ResCare Member Negotiates Settlement After Filing Grievance. A member with ResCare worked with the Union to file a grievance to contest a termination. As an outcome of the grievance, the termination was converted to a resignation and the member received $800 as a settlement. Without a Union, employment is “at-will” with few protections.
● Toledo Area Nursing Home Member Reinstated. A member with a nursing home was recently reinstated after a wrongful termination due to confusion regarding leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act. The dedicated member had worked at the facility for 29 years and had never called off from work. As an outcome of the grievance, the member has returned to work.
● ResCare Member Issued Back Pay After Identifying Missing Raise. A member with ResCare found out that she was missing a raise of $0.30 an hour that should have been granted a year prior. The member worked with the Union to file a grievance. In a successful outcome, the rate of pay for the member was updated and she was issued approximately $1,000 in back pay.
● Northeast Ohio Hospital Member Granted Settlement After Lost PTO Hours Due to COVID19. A member who worked as a phlebotomist went into self-quarantine after exposure to COVID19. The member ultimately lost 39 hours of PTO time after returning to work and filed a grievance. Through the grievance process outlined by the Union contract, the member was re-issued the PTO time that had been deducted, which had a value of nearly $600.
Member Resource Center Update
The Member Resource Center provides assistance each day to a substantial number of members across West Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky. Whether you need a copy of your contract, assistance contacting Union staff, or advice on how to file a grievance, representatives with the Member Resource Center are standing by to assist members each Monday through Friday. “Your Member Resource Center Has Your Back!”
SEIU District 1199 Member Benefits
Membership with SEIU District 1199 includes membership with three member benefit programs. Those programs include Union Plus, SEIU Member Benefits, and the SEIU District 1199 WV/KY/OH membership card. Members and eligible family members can now take classes with Eastern Gateway Community College at no-cost online. In 2019, Union Plus announced a new program with Central State University in Dayton. If you are not a member, you can sign a membership card.