As you may know, the American Rescue Plan was signed today by President Biden after passing the U.S. House and Senate. The last year has been incredibly difficult for members across West Virginia, Kentucky, and Ohio. The American Rescue Plan will provide relief for working people and their families.
The American Rescue Plan will benefit members with SEIU District 1199 in several important ways. The American Rescue Plan will:
• Send $1,400 in direct checks per person to households across the country
• Gives $350B for states, counties, and cities to invest in workers and provide vital public services
• Extends additional $300 per week unemployment insurance
• Cut child poverty in half (see more below)
• Provides nearly $130 billion for schools to reopen safely
• Allocate $103 billion to ramp up COVID-19 vaccination distribution and aggressively contain the virus
While some of the details are still being worked out, the final version of the American Rescue Plan will also temporarily “increase the child tax credit to $3,000 or $3,600 per child under age 6 for most families and have 50% of it paid in advance…” The plan significantly expands and strengthens the child tax credit. Many families are expected to receive part of the tax credit in monthly payments from July 2021 to December 2021.
Union members have worked heroically through this crisis by ensuring the provision of health care, public sector operations, and important services. We will continue to demand that politicians protect working people and their families. Together, we will do everything we can to help defeat the COVID19 pandemic.
Becky Williams — President
SEIU District 1199 WV/KY/OH