Title: Representation Specialist
Department: Member Resource Center (MRC)
The position represents members at all levels of the grievance procedure for multiple chapters by reading and interpreting collective bargaining agreement language, researching grievance issues, and negotiating with employers.
Ensures grievances are filed and timelines met for every step of the grievance process according to each collective bargaining agreement; prepares for and represents members at grievance mediations several times per month; prepares grievances for arbitration; represents grievant in arbitration proceedings; negotiates grievance settlements; represents members from certain chapters at lower-level grievance meetings; and assists with requests made over-the-phone when necessary.
Qualified applicants must be able to act and organize their time independently while maintaining a close relationship with the supervisor.
Job Duties & Expectations:
- Tracks grievances and appeals grievances to higher levels when necessary to remain within CBA timelines
- Advocates on behalf of grievant(s) at mediations and arbitrations
- Prepares for hearings by talking to grievant(s) and delegates
- Submits information requests to employers
- Assists other MRC staff in preparation for arbitration
- Advocates on behalf of the Union in internal union appeals
- Coordinates and schedules hearings for certain chapters
- Files unfair labor practice (ULP) charges with the NLRB and SERB
- Negotiates with employers to settle outstanding grievances
- Ability to identify arbitrable issues in grievances
- Ability explain the issues and the union’s interpretation of contract language in an easily understood manner
- Superior time management skills to ensure adequate preparation for hearings
- Ability to identify documents necessary to arbitrate grievance
- Answers Phones when Necessary
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work under pressure
MRC Organizers may be required to work long and irregular hours, to work on weekends and holidays when necessary.
Email email@example.com or fax to 614-461-1549, a résumé in which you respond to each of the criteria, a letter explaining why you want to do this work, and names with contact information of three references. Place “Representation Specialist (MRC)” in the subject line. Women and people of color are urged to apply.